My Classy Babes DIY focus today is : Self Publishing
Self publishing has been quite the adventure. I am fortunate enough to have a father who had just recently released his book Dantes Inferno to help walk me thru the process.
I would be honored to help be your personal guide with the below 10 Step Guide:
- You may think it is just a silly story, but your story can change someone's life. A good friend of mine has a very romantic idea to write the love story of her and her husband. May I kindly remind you that the movie The Notebook had to come from somewhere?! I think this is a fabulous idea and how inspiring for other in love couples to do the same.
- There are several self-publishing options, pick one that best fits the needs of your story. For example, Bucket List: Inspirational DIY Guide for Classy Babes is offered on Kindle eBook - however I was a little saddened by the inability to manipulate the typography, position pictures the way id like them nor the capability to physically type directly onto the page. (although I do see this being a possibility in the future) Learn about your limitations on each platform before you dive in to deep and are disappointed to find out the preferences you have are not options.
- Explore the possibilities of eBooks, paperback, hardback, audio books, podcasts and apps. There are so many ways to publish your story, see which one best fits your needs.
- Download a template as your base. It will save you hours of headache and heartache. Sites like CreateSpace offer services that will make your writing process a breeze.
- Write out your story. Now you have your word doc set up. A blank canvas staring you in the face. Whether it is a love story, fiction, biography, thriller or novel you are in charge and the world is ready for your end product.
- Take a break. This will take time. Not all great stories were written in one day. You've now been buried in the computer for 5 hours... time to pull yourself away from it, regain a fresh perspective, go for a walk or run a few errands and come back to your story.
- Design your cover. Some self publishing sites offer services to customize your cover on your own. There are thousands of graphic designers & photographers who would be elated to design something even more fabulous for you though if you have a budget to work with. (it doesn't have to be much) There are service marketplaces like Fiverr that have great artists ready and willing to design for you starting at the cost of $5. Check it out!
- I can not stress enough the importance of ordering a hardcopy tangible PROOF vs. just the PDF. This way you can physically see what your friends and customers will literally be purchasing.
- You are now ready to share it with the world! But wait. Not yet. Have it proof read. MANY times before doing so. It is better safe to be sorry.
- Publish your story. Make a difference in someone's life.
Speaking of which, my final paperback proof for Bucket List: Inspirational DIY Guide for Classy Babes has arrived. I am anxious to cross the last t's and dot the last i's before it hits the printers.